Allergen Accreditation launches the “#Onemcpeakechallenge” for September 2018
In order to raise awareness of how difficult it is to live with a food allergy Jacqui McPeake, from Allergen Accreditation, invites chefs and caterers (& those with an interest in food!) to eliminate one or more allergens from their diet for 2 weeks.
This will enable the volunteer to understand the daily issues that someone with allergies face. The challenge will highlight the problems going shopping and checking labels for allergens, cooking at home with other family members who do not have any restrictions in their diet and going out to eat at work, a restaurant or bar etc. (And just going out for a drink!)
The challenge will help those within the catering industry to appreciate the problems that customers with food allergies face when eating out.
Registration in now live and this has been set with MYDonate. For as little as £5 you can get registered and start planning now! Companies and group entries are encouraged to contribute £50 for a team but any level of contribution is very welcome.
Here’s the link to get set up: https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/onemcpeakechallenge
The money raised from this campaign will go STRAIGHT to The Anaphylaxis Campaign and during their conference taking place on 18th September 2018 the amount raised up to that point will be announced. The final amount raised will be publicised on social media.
In order to gain an insight into participants experiences during the 2 weeks challenge participants are invited to share these with Allergen Accreditation.
Once the #onemcpeakechallenge has concluded the team at Allergen Accreditation will analyse all feedback, blog posts and social media to produce a report highlighting the learning outcomes from participants of the challenge. The report will contain experiences and highlights of the challenge but will not refer to the names of participants.
• Remove one or more of the key 14 allergens for a 2 week period.
• Visit local supermarkets and smaller shops to purchase appropriate foods suitable for your chosen allergen challenge and remember to look for may contain and made in a factory with!
• Dine out at least once and ask about your chosen allergen!
• If you managed to order a takeaway, what was your experience?
• Feedback any difficulties you experience e.g. taking a packed lunch to work, finding snacks to eat, eating with family members.
• Feedback reactions of family, colleagues etc.
• If working in the industry, feedback the response from your colleagues.
• Feedback any learning from the challenge.
• What did you learn from the experience if anything?
• Will you do anything differently as a result of #onemcpeakechallenge ?
Please do get involved. Perhaps get a team together?
Allergen Accreditation is raising funds in aid of The Anaphylaxis Campaign (incorporating the Latex Allergy Support Group) a charity registered in England and Wales (1085527)